Pages

During December 2011, I experienced 3 gallbladder attacks within a week and a half. Although I don't think my diet was THAT bad before this happened, I decided after the third one to drastically alter my eating habits. So, for at least the next couple of months (until my baby comes), my goal is to seek out and share low-fat, high fiber, and low-sugar recipes. I figured as long as I was figuring things out for myself and my family, I may as well share what's working!

July 6, 2010

Recipe Roundup: 4th of July

We had a great 4th of July weekend!  We spent it at my inlaw's cottage on the coast.  The week before got away from me a bit--as you can tell from the lack of recipes from last week.  But I'm back.  At least for today.

As we left the house, we thought we were completely packed and ready to go.  Well, we were.  Except for one thing.  The camera.  So, no pics with these recipes, but they're pretty simple and easy to envision.  I thought about drawing a few pics to go with this post, but really, that wouldn't make it any more appetizing.  Moving on...

We were in charge of lunch on Saturday.  And, we had the added challenge of a couple of Weight Watchers joining us for that meal.  Here's the menu I came up with:

Kangaroo Pocket sandwiches
Fruit with fruit dip
Multigrain chips
Peppers and carrots
Patriotic jello

I'll start with the Kangaroo Pockets.  Although I was aware of the idea for most of my life, this was something that really stuck when I married into my husband's family.  They are simple and easy to feed a crowd.  I made a large salad of lettuce and tomatoes, then added cubed ham and chicken breast.  I served cucumbers and shredded cheese on the side.  (My hubby doesn't like cucumbers and I wanted to let the WW decide whether to put cheese on.)  The salad was then served in pocket-style whole wheat pita bread, then topped with salad dressing.  My husband likes to mix his salad and dressing in a bowl and then put it into the pita.  Something about better distribution of dressing.  I figure it all just drips down and out the bottom anyway.  Either way, this is a light but filling lunch. 

On to the fruit dip.  Years and years and years ago, I was at a church youth function and tasted a fabulous and simple fruit dip.  From that time on, it has been my dip of choice when fruit is involved.  Are you ready for this?  Mix one small container of Cool Whip with one container of yogurt.  Voila!  Fruit dip.  This time, I used lite Cool Whip and lite mixed berry yogurt.  Again--a totally light, totally simple addition to the meal.  (By the way, although I didn't use them this time, my favorite flavors for this dip are lemon or vanilla.  Always great with fruit.  Or waffles.  Or cookies.  Or...)

Finally, the patriotic jello.  I found this recipe a few months ago on foodgawker--which led me to Brown Eyed Baker's post about stained glass jello.  I instantly knew I had to make it THIS YEAR.  It couldn't wait. I wish I had a pic of this--it looks so cool!  You'll just have to head over to Brown Eyed Baker and check out her pics.

Stained Glass Jello

1 box (6 oz.) cherry jello
1 box (6 oz) berry blue jello
2 envelopes Knox gelatin (unflavored)
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
Water for jello prep

Pour the jello powder into 2 separate bowls.  For each flavor, add 2 cups boiling water; stir until jello is dissolved.  Pour into 8x8 baking pan. Chill until firm. (Should be a few hours.)  Cut jello into small "blocks." 

In the mean time, bloom Knox gelatin in 1/2 cup cold water.  Add 1 1/2 cups boiling water; stir until dissolved.  Add sweetened condensed milk.  Set aside to cool.

Gently combine red and blue jello blocks in 9x13 pan.  Pour cooled Knox/milk mixture over cubes.  Chill in fridge until solid. 

NOTES: The original recipe called for 4 (3 oz.) boxes of jello.  Since I was only doing 2 colors, I used the larger boxes.  If you want to make more colors, just use 1 cup boiling water for every 3 oz. package of jello.

I didn't let my Knox/milk mixture cool enough before pouring it over the jello cubes.  As a result, my jello cubes melted just a little into the white--which made the colors just a bit less crisp than I would have liked.  Live and learn.

And, I didn't cut my final product into cute little stars or even boring cubes.  I just let people scoop it out of the glass cake pan with a spoon.  Hey--I was on vacation.

Hope you had a happy 4th of July celebration!

1 comment:

Lydja said...

Are you kidding me? The stained glass jello has the recipe I was searching for forever. Except that I did it as layers and them jigglers. I searched online for a few hours trying to find something that would work, and here you were sitting on it. How neat!! Loved it.