Pages

During December 2011, I experienced 3 gallbladder attacks within a week and a half. Although I don't think my diet was THAT bad before this happened, I decided after the third one to drastically alter my eating habits. So, for at least the next couple of months (until my baby comes), my goal is to seek out and share low-fat, high fiber, and low-sugar recipes. I figured as long as I was figuring things out for myself and my family, I may as well share what's working!

July 13, 2010

Floating Tacos

Last year, my friend mentioned that she was making freezer meals before her baby came.  She took an entire Saturday to cook and stock her freezer so her family would actually have food while she was out of commission.  I was thoroughly impressed.  And, of course, knowing that my baby was coming a few months later, I checked out her recipes.  Not that I stocked my freezer before my baby came.  When I'm pregnant, I feel accomplished if I shower and get dressed in the same day.  That and my baby came a little sooner than I planned.  But if I had stocked my freezer, this would have been in there, (with a few adjustments).


Floating Tacos
Servings: A LOT (See notes)
(Adapted from Just Because I am Me)

1 lb. hamburger
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 can tomato sauce (8 oz)
1 can tomato paste (6oz.)
3 cups water
2 cans kidney beans
1 cup uncooked rice

1 T. sugar
1 T. cumin
1 T. oregano
1 T. chili powder

Salt and pepper to taste

Saute meat and onion in large saucepan (or dutch oven) until onion is tender. Add tomato sauce, paste, water, beans, and rice. Stir in sugar, cumin, oregano, chili powder; bring to boil. Cover; reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 min., (or so) stirring occasionally until rice is fully cooked.  Add water as needed if mixture becomes too thick.
 
Serve over Fritos and top with lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, olives, and Ranch Sauce (recipe below).

Ranch Sauce
 
1 cup Ranch dressing
1 cup sour cream
 
Mix thoroughly.
 
NOTES: While I thought this was pretty good, I thought that it lacked SPICE.  I'm not talking "burn your mouth" spice--I'm not into that.  But, it just needed some more intense flavors.  And, I would most likely leave out the sugar.  When I used the leftovers, I added about 1/4 cup taco seasoning.  It was good--but, once again, could have used even more spice. 
 
This makes a TON of food.  It made 2 meals for our family, (with leftovers), in addition to a meal for another family of 4.  It's a great one to make ahead and freeze for easy meals later.
 
Oh--and the ranch sauce?  It reminded me of an amazing cucumber dressing from Romeo's in Gilbert, AZ.  Aadd some chopped green onions and finely chopped cucumber to your leftover sauce.  Then use as a dip for soft, warm pita bread.  Or french fries.  Or really anything.  It's that good.

1 comment:

runningfan said...

I'm glad you liked it! But I enjoy the flavor -- and so do my kids. :)