Pages

During December 2011, I experienced 3 gallbladder attacks within a week and a half. Although I don't think my diet was THAT bad before this happened, I decided after the third one to drastically alter my eating habits. So, for at least the next couple of months (until my baby comes), my goal is to seek out and share low-fat, high fiber, and low-sugar recipes. I figured as long as I was figuring things out for myself and my family, I may as well share what's working!

July 15, 2010

Pepperoncini Beef

I'll be honest, I don't know how to start this post.  This Pepperoncini Beef has me nearly speechless.  Really.  It is an incredibly simple recipe, yet packs in so much flavor.  And it has become a favorite around these parts--one of those meals that I will make again and again.

I originally saw this recipe on "My Muffin Thursdays" (which has recently changed to One Lovely Life). And, since I like to share random stories, here's a story for you: It's been about a year since I started finding recipes on My Muffin Thursdays (MMT).  The hostess was from UT, had a husband in school, etc.  Just like we were a few short months before.  The world, when connected through Utah, is so small that I wondered if I knew this person or if we knew some of the same people.  A few months ago, one of my former neighbors (and good friend), mentioned that the hostess on MMT was her former neighbor as well.  Turns out that we moved out as they were moving in.  All I can say is that it really is a small world after all.

Pepperoncini Beef

2.5 lbs. beef roast
1/2 jar pepperoncinis (16 oz.)
1 cup beef broth
Salt and pepper to taste
Sandwich buns
Provolone cheese

Trim visible fat from your roast.  Season with salt and pepper.  Place in slow cooker.  Add pepperoncinis, about 1/4 cup of brine from pepperoncini jar, and beef broth.  Cook on low 7-8 hours.

Remove pepperonicinis from slow cooker; slice or chop.  Shred beef; add pepperoncinis back to slow cooker. 

Toast sandwich buns.  Top with beef then cheese.

NOTES: You can use any cheese that you like.  I do suggest staying away from cheddar, though, as it would probably overpower the beef.  And, I brush the buns with my Sotto Voce garlic olive oil before toasting.  It gives it just a little more flavor, (not that it really needs much more).  You could toast them and then rub them with garlic if you feel so inclined.  My mouth is seriously watering just typing this recipe up.  I wish we were having this for dinner tonight! 

1 comment:

Kimmel Tippets said...

I'm going to have to try this recipe! It combines all of Shane's favorite things plus it's super easy! Thanks for sharing!