Pages

During December 2011, I experienced 3 gallbladder attacks within a week and a half. Although I don't think my diet was THAT bad before this happened, I decided after the third one to drastically alter my eating habits. So, for at least the next couple of months (until my baby comes), my goal is to seek out and share low-fat, high fiber, and low-sugar recipes. I figured as long as I was figuring things out for myself and my family, I may as well share what's working!

June 23, 2010

Buttermilk Corn Muffins: Updated

When I was pregnant with Clayton last year, I had a hankering for corn bread one evening.  I decided that the people who make corn meal are probably a pretty good resource for corn bread, and I gave the recipe on the box a try.  And we haven't looked back once.



If you like a savory, dense cornbread, then keep looking.  This cornbread is moist and sweet--in fact, we sometimes call it corn cake because of the sweetness and texture.

Sweet Buttermilk Corn Bread
(Adapted from the side panel of Alber's Corn Meal)
Makes 1 8x8 pan

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup cornmeal (white or yellow)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup milk
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 Tbls butter, melted

Combine flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl.  In small bowl, combine milk, eggs, oil, and butter.  Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until moistened.  Pour into greased baking pan.

Bake 35 min. at 350 degrees or until toothpick comes out clean.

NOTES: Sometimes, I substitute brown sugar for 1/2 of the sugar.  Changes the flavor just a bit.  And, I usually sift my flour through a mesh strainer.  That disintigrates any flour lumps.  One more thing--this is a quick bread.  You don't want to overmix it.  (See my explanation in "Banana Crumb Muffins".)  For muffins, reduce baking time to about 20 min.  It makes about 12.

Extra Notes: (July 6, 2010) Recently, I adapted this recipe to use buttermilk.  It is HEAVENLY!  It makes the texture so much lighter and fluffier.  You would seriously be missing out if you didn't try it!  BUT--if you want to make it with plain milk, omit the baking soda and increase the baking powder to 1 Tbls.

No comments: