Pages

During December 2011, I experienced 3 gallbladder attacks within a week and a half. Although I don't think my diet was THAT bad before this happened, I decided after the third one to drastically alter my eating habits. So, for at least the next couple of months (until my baby comes), my goal is to seek out and share low-fat, high fiber, and low-sugar recipes. I figured as long as I was figuring things out for myself and my family, I may as well share what's working!

March 7, 2012

Healthy Taco Stacks

So, I've obviously not been good at my efforts of posting here.  But, I HAVE been good at finding, fixing, and eating healthy foods during the past couple of months.  I'm happy to report that I haven't had any further gallbladder attacks and managed to keep my itching at bay for quite a while.  Now, here I am, about 2 weeks (or less) from the end of my pregnancy, and as a result of how I've been eating, I've only gained 10 lbs. I'm actually quite happy about that, as my pre-pregnancy weight was well over what it should have been in the first place.

I will not discuss how easy it has been--because, in all honesty, it hasn't been easy. I'm one who loves to cook and bake new things. Let me clarify: new DELICIOUS things. Not all of what I've made has been great and I have "cheated" a few times--eating some sugar or homemade mac & cheese. But, there has been one staple during these past few months that has consistently been what my body wanted AND tastes good, too!  Healthy Taco Stacks.  In the interest of full-disclosure, there have been a few days that my tastebuds rebelled against eating yet another taco stack. But, for the most part, this has been a favorite of mine.  And it's REALLY easy!


Healthy Taco Stacks
Yield: 1 serving

Brown rice
Quick and Easy Black Beans from Our Best Bites -or- fat-free refried beans
Baby spinach
Chopped tomatoes
1/4-1/2 avocado, diced
Salt, to taste

Layer ingredients on a plate in order listed. Be generous with spinach and tomatoes. Eat up!

NOTES: If I don't feel like making the Quick and Easy Black Beans, I will often use dehydrated refried beans which I prepare with a little extra water. I find if they're not very saucy, the whole stack is dry and doesn't taste as good. If you're using canned refried beans, add a little water or chicken stock to thin them out a bit.  Also, you can add other veggies to the mix or squeeze a bit of lime juice over the top. And, if you have cilantro--give it a chop and toss it on. Just gives another layer of flavor!

No comments: