Pages

During December 2011, I experienced 3 gallbladder attacks within a week and a half. Although I don't think my diet was THAT bad before this happened, I decided after the third one to drastically alter my eating habits. So, for at least the next couple of months (until my baby comes), my goal is to seek out and share low-fat, high fiber, and low-sugar recipes. I figured as long as I was figuring things out for myself and my family, I may as well share what's working!

January 10, 2012

Amanda's Amazing Enchiladas

Forgive me for posting something so non-healthy so soon after I said I was only posting healthy foods!  The back story is that I made these in December, before my body freaked out on me.  They were so incredibly good that I took pics the day AFTER I made them.  (I may or may not have eaten them for both lunch and dinner that day...)

While we were visiting my family for Christmas, my mom had some leftover rotisserie chicken...so I made a double batch of these enchiladas.  And, since it was after the body-freak-out, I didn't have any then.  Let me tell you, that was quite the sacrifice!  But everyone else loved them--and I'm glad that they did.  I find great satisfaction in making food that people enjoy eating!

And, you'll have to forgive the unattractiveness of my photo...it was technically leftovers at this point.  But, hey, I actually took a pic this time!


Amanda's Amazing Enchiladas
Adapted from "Angela's Awesome Enchiladas" at allrecipes.com
Yield: 1 9x13 pan

2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast meat, cooked, shredded
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 1/4 cups sour cream
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1 Tbls. butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles
1 (1.25 ounce) package mild taco seasoning mix
1 bunch green onions, chopped, divided
1 cup water
1 tsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
8 (12 inch) uncooked flour tortillas
3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
1 (10 ounce) can green enchilada sauce

Combine cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and chili powder in a saucepan. Bring to simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally; turn off the heat and cover to keep warm.


Heat butter in skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion; cook and stir until onion has softened and turned translucent. Add shredded chicken, green chiles, taco seasoning, half of chopped green onion, and water. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in lime juice, onion powder, and garlic powder; simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.

While chicken simmers, cook tortillas according to package directions. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray.  Stir 1 cup of soup mixture into skillet with chicken mixture. Spread remaining soup mixture on bottom of baking dish.
Fill each tortilla with chicken mixture. Sprinkle about 2-3 Tbls. cheese over chicken filling before rolling the tortillas, reserving half of shredded cheese for topping enchiladas. Roll tortillas over filling and place seam-side down in prepared pan.

Pour enchilada sauce evenly over enchiladas. Cover with remaining 1 1/2 cups of cheese. Sprinkle reserved chopped green onions over cheese. Bake in preheated oven until filling is heated through and cheese is melted and bubbling, about 30 minutes.
 
NOTES: I always sub light sour cream in my recipes.  It lowers the fat a bit and still tastes great!  Also, you can use low-fat or "Healthy Request" cream of chicken soup.  (Which I also did when I made them.)  Let me know if you can't get enough of them either!

1 comment:

Jason, Kodi, Jake and Tyler said...

These look TASTEEEE! I have been looking for more healthy recipes, so I am looking forward to seeing what you find! (I did try a new one last night that was super good--brown rice and lentil burritos. Sounds boring, tastes good...and it is SUPER cheap.)
It was really fun to see you at church! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!
Kodi
Oh, and if you want an invite to my blog, email me
toadylynn at excite dot com
It's not that exciting though!