Pages

During December 2011, I experienced 3 gallbladder attacks within a week and a half. Although I don't think my diet was THAT bad before this happened, I decided after the third one to drastically alter my eating habits. So, for at least the next couple of months (until my baby comes), my goal is to seek out and share low-fat, high fiber, and low-sugar recipes. I figured as long as I was figuring things out for myself and my family, I may as well share what's working!

November 21, 2010

Butternut Squash Bake

With Thanksgiving approaching, my mind is spinning with all of the recipe possibilities.  This year, our Thanksgiving celebration will be a smaller affair with my family and my in-laws.  And I'm OK with that.  While it can seem like a lot of work for so few people, it's nice to know that it will be comfortable and I don't have to worry about impressing anyone.  Because of this, I'm still deciding what I'm going to do with the sweet potatoes this year.  Should I go savory or sweet?  Should I make a casserole or keep them in a recognizable form?  So many decisions to make.

One thing I have already decided, however, is that this Butternut Squash Bake will be making appearances on our table in the future.  I recently triend another similar casserole to see how they matched up--and this one is the knock-out champion at our house.  Even my husband, (who doesn't normally approve of winter squash), liked this version!  AND, he took seconds.  That's huge over here.

So, if you're like me and not sure what direction you're heading with a Thanksgiving side (or two), try adding this one to your menu.  You (and your guests) can thank me later.

(Sorry about the lack of pic AGAIN.  You'll just have to go with your gut on this one.  It should be growling by now.)

Butternut Squash Bake
Adapted from Taste of Home

1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 2 cups)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 tsp. oil
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup crushed saltines (about 8 crackers)
2 Tbls. Parmesan cheese
1 Tbls. butter, melted

Place squash in saucepan.  Cover with water and bring to boil.  Boil 20(ish) minutes until squash can be easily pierced with a fork.  Drain well and place in large bowl.  Mash until squash is nearly smooth.  Set aside to cool a bit.
 
While squash is boiling, heat oil in small skillet.  Add onion and saute until soft and translucent.
In medium bowl, mix mayonnaise, sauteed onion, egg, sugar, salt and pepper.  Add cooled squash; mix well.  Pour into greased casserole dish.
 
Mix saltines, Parmesan, and butter.  Sprinkle over squash mixture.  Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until heated through and top is golden.
 
NOTES: The original recipe doesn't have you sautee the onions.  I didn't.  If you're a fan of crunchy onions, then feel free to leave that step out.
 
As for the Parmesan, I use the pulverized Kraft Parmesan.  I'm sure it would look fancier if I shredded some myself, but it still tastes fantastic!

No comments: